Ex Forces – ELCAS

Enhanced Learning Credits. Resettlement Guide

Why Choose Complete Training Solutions?

It isn’t all about working with a name you trust, it’s about choosing the right provider that can help you make that leap forward, step into the unknown and come out the other side with job stability and satisfaction.

We constantly analyse our ELCAS course packages and listen to people like you and also to industry leaders. Our aim is simple; we want to identify niches, gaps in industry and areas where there is a shortfall in industry specific qualified people. We then want to provide you with these qualifications and place you in the best possible position to gain a stable job.

We don’t stop there as we understand that gaining a qualification is only a part of the puzzle. Our dedicated resettlement team are here to help you build a CV (from scratch if required) and provide ongoing support and guidance. This starts from the day you enquire with us and up to any date in the future. We will add you to our mailing list and keep you up to date with industry news, changes to regulations, ongoing CPD and of any companies we know that are currently recruiting.

Complete Training Solutions and the Enhanced Learning Scheme

We are an Approved Learning Provider under the Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (Registration No: 7064). Enhanced Learning Credits are designed to provide Service personnel (both serving and former) who have accumulated at least 4 eligible years of service from 1st April 2000, with 80% of approved training costs, for courses leading to a recognised qualification on the National Qualifications Framework at level 3 or above.


Courses and Course packages we offer include:

  • Certificate in Offshore Safety & Inspection
  • Certificate in Offshore Safety & Rope Access
  • C&G Confined Space
  • National Certificate in Fire Safety & Risk Management
  • NEBOSH National General Certificate


  • Certificate in Construction Safety & Health
  • International Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
  • National Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
  • Diploma in Environmental Management
  • NEBOSH International General Certificate
Claiming Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC)

The first step when looking at booking a course is to carry out your research. There are a large variety of training providers in the UK who offer level 3 qualifications that are recognised on the National Qualification Framework.

Make sure the course is right for you and more importantly, it will contribute to your ongoing professional development.

Funding Routes

There are currently 3 ways in which you can receive funding to prepare yourself for life outside the Military.

  • ELC (Enhanced Learning Credits)
  • IRTC (Individual Resettlement Training Costs)
  • SLC (Standard Learning Credits).
ELC (Enhanced Learning Credits)

The Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC) is an initiative to promote lifelong learning amongst members of the Armed Forces. You can utilise these during your resettlement phase and up to 10 years following release from the Armed Forces

  • To be eligible for lower tier ELC funding (£1000), you must have been serving in the armed forces for at least 4 years.
  • To be eligible for higher tier ELC funding (£2000), you must have been serving in the armed forces for at least 8 years.
  • The only exception to this is if you left the forces before April 2008 then you will only be eligible for a lower tier claim regardless of your length of service.
  • Each eligible claimant may make a total of 3 claims.
  • Only 1 claim may be made for learning activities commencing in any one financial year
  • Courses must be NQF Level 3 or above for both lower and higher tier claimants in order to receive funding.
SLC (Standard Learning Credits)

The Standard Learning Credits (SLC) scheme is another way in which you can utilise funding towards learning costs. This allows you to claim up to £175 per financial year. It is essential that you enrol on the SLC scheme before applying for your chosen course of study in order to claim this benefit. SLC’s can be used for training even if it is below the NQF level 3 threshold.

Please be aware that you will not be able to use your SLC in conjunction with both the ELC and IRTC.

How it Works:

IRTC + ELC = Yes

IRTC + SLC = Yes



How to Claim Enhanced Learning Credits

The actual claiming process is simple and demonstrated below but for more information, advice and guidance, please visit either http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/ or https://www.ctp.org.uk/

Step 1

Choose a course and provider that is right for you. Do your research and identify the best course or course package for you, paying particular attention to those that are more likely to provide you the best potential for securing industry related work on completion.

Step 2

Contact the course provider and clarify which dates are available and if you can provisionally book a place. Ask for their 4 digit ELC Provider number which you will need for future reference. (At this point some providers will send you over an ELC claim form which will be part filled out) 

Step 3

Contact your Single Service Representative (SSR) and tell them you wish to use one of your credits towards the course of your choice and you have a date for when you want to complete this.


Royal Navy/Royal Marines

ELC Manager

Mailpoint 3.3

Leach Building, Whale Island

HMS Excellent



Tel: 02392 625954




Learning Credit Scheme (LCS) Manager

Ed&CD, Zone 4, Floor 2

Ramillies Building, Army HQ

Monxton Road, Andover

SP11 8HJ

Tel: 01264 381580

Email: elc@detsa.co.uk


Royal Air Force

Learning Credits Administrator

Accreditation and Education Wing

RAF Central Training School

HQ 22 TrgGp

Room 221B

Trenchard Hall

RAF College Cranwell

NG34 8HB

Tel: 01400 268 183

Email: 22TrgGp-CTS-AandEWg-LCA@mod.uk


Step 4

With your SSR, you will complete your application form which will then be sent to ELCAS. Once this has been processed and approved a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) will be posted out to you (usually within 10 days)

Step 5

Notify the Training provider as soon as you receive your CAN. Once this is done they can take a deposit and secure your place on that course date. Joining instructions should then be sent out with details of the course content and any pre-course reading.

Final Step

Once you have completed the course you will be expected to fill out a feedback section through ELCAS. Once this has been completed you will be eligible to use further credits in the future


CTS - Step By Step Guide
1. Decide on the course package you wish to study or call one of our dedicated resettlement team members on 0151 708 9785

2. Complete your ELC form 005-01. Speak to our team at Complete Training Solutions if you require assistnace

3. Submit your ELC Claim form to your educational stff is still serving or your Single Service Represetative (SSR) for approval

4. Claim form sent to ELCAS for processing

5. ELCAS checks your eligibility to claim an ELC grant

6. ELCAS approves your claim and sends you the Claim Authorisation Note (CAN).

7. Contact your training provider with your CAN number so that they can secure your booking. At this stage, your 20% contribution will be taken

8. Fill out any paper work requested before attending the course and notify both training provider and ELCAS if you anticipate any changes in attneding.

9. On completion, ensure you fill out the feedback questionaire through ELCAS which will enable you to claim your next ELC grant
FAQs for ELCAS and Resettlement

Whether you are about to leave the Military or have been in civilian employment for a number of years, the prospect of change can often be a daunting experience. We have years of combined experience in the Military and also in helping train and guiding you through your resettlement phase.

Below we have included a list of our most frequently asked questions but if you cannot find your answer here then why not call and speak to one of our dedicated resettlement team members.

1.    What qualifications do I need to work on an offshore wind farm?

This all depends on the role however the essential courses are the GWO Basic Safety Training Package which consists of 5 modules. The industry is seriously lacking electrical engineers at the moment and trades such as painter blaster, engineer, and electricians are also in demand. It’s easier to think of it as a building site floating at sea.

2.    Is it the same as working on onshore windfarms?

Yes pretty much, learners must be prepared to work away from home. Drug and alcohol testing take place in the offshore roles. The production of On-shore windfarms is slowing down due to the government’s subsidy cuts driving more developers to create wind farms offshore.

3.    How long do GWO qualifications last for?

All qualifications expire after 2 years; learners are then able to sit refresher versions of the courses and are often provided discounts on a case by case basis

4.    What’s the difference between GWO and RUK?

GWO or Global Wind Organisation is predominantly required to work on offshore wind projects whereas the onshore projects require both RUK and GWO accreditations. GWO is also recognised throughout the World where as RUK is predominant in the UK

5.    Do I need to complete a particular medical to work in this industry?

Offshore workers are required to have an OGUK medical which we can provide for you whilst on course. Failing this, there is a number of specialist Drs throughout the UK who could provide the service.

6.    How big is the industry and is it going to grow over the next five years?

The industry is re-entering a growth phase with large projects such as the Burbo bank extension (Liverpool), Walney extension (Cumbria) and Hornsea (East Coast) all coming online in the next 5 years. The maintenance phases of these windfarms will also require a constant flow of workers. The UK is becoming the flagbearer within the world of offshore wind and workforces are continuing to work on projects in Germany, Portugal and further afield. 

7.    Are companies actively looking for ex-military people?

Yes. The discipline and lifestyle of ex-forces fits well with life offshore. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 12 hours on 12 hours off, working as part of a team, physical work, keen eye for safety and working to safe systems of work.

8.    Will a mechanical or engineering background help me once I have passed all the GWO modules?

Yes these are skills which are sort after by offshore wind companies of all scales. 

9.    Do you help with job placements or offer advice on companies I could possibly work for?

Yes. Complete Recruitment is able to take your details and place candidates in roles with our clients operating offshore. We also keep abreast of industry developments and often send out updated lists and industry newsletters with information on who is or has recently been recruiting.

10.  Are there any pre-requisites for me to attend these courses?

No. Candidates are required to fill in a brief medical self-assessment prior to starting the course but there are no special pre-requisites that you wouldn’t find on any other type of similar course.

11.  How do I know if I am eligible to claim ELCAS funding for these courses?

In short, if you have completed over 4 years of eligible service then you are entitled to claim ELCAS funding. There are two tiers of funding which can be claimed up to 10 years after you have left the Military. Please see our ELCAS and Resettlement guide for more information on this process.

12.  If I want to book one of the ELCAS course packages how do I start the process?

Our ELCAS and Resettlement guide provides all the information and a step by step guide on how to claim your ELCAS and start training with us. Once you have a good idea on the direction you wish to pursue then call us today and start your process. 0151 708 9785